Byzantium is the capital city of Terra 2 and the crown jewel of Halcyon. All the opulence, elegance, and decadence of the colony is concentrated in the city. Its residents are colloquially referred to as gold-bloods.
Background[edit | edit source]
Referred to as the "gilded city of the well-to-do", Byzantium is where every Halcyon colonist wishes they could live. The city is closed off to those without the means to be appropriate residents; it’s a literal gated community with secrets that lesser company workers will simply never learn.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The city of Byzantium was built in a radial layout, with streets and docking bays encircling the Halcyon Holdings Corporation headquarters, located in the restricted Acropolis District. Many buildings constructed in Byzantium are well-maintained, and are built in a futuristic Art Nouveau style, as opposed to the simpler prefabricated frontier designs of Edgewater or Stellar Bay.
Districts[edit | edit source]
- Acropolis District
A wealthy district for the most prominent citizens of both Byzantium and the entire Halcyon Colony. Located here are the headquarters of the Halcyon Holdings Corporation, housed inside a towering skyscraper.
- Docking Bays
Docking bays for various vessels and ships have been constructed into a large, deep trench encircling the mid-section of Byzantium. Only those individuals with the appropriate navkey are allowed to land on Byzantium's docking bays.
- Estate District
A district bordering the Acropolis District, the Estate District is known as the residence of Minister Clarke.
- Prosperity Plaza
The beating hub of commerce and culture in Byzantium, fronted by famous establishments such as Bijou's Revue, Rococo's Decor, and Billingsly's House of Inebriation. At the center of the plaza is a large decorative orrery in the likeness of the Halcyon system.
Location(s)[edit | edit source]
- Fast Travel
- Point of Interest
Quests[edit | edit source]
NPCs[edit | edit source]
- Quest Giver
- Ambient NPCs
- Ambient Creatures
Key Items[edit | edit source]
- Pristine Weapons
- Pristine Armor
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Many top establishments in Byzantium are closed and shuttered due to sprat infestations.
- Two wealthy citizens can be heard discussing whether to spit on an automechanical from a street overlooking the Docking Bays.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Byzantium is named after the ancient city Byzantium, the capital of the Byzantine Empire, also known as the Eastern Roman Empire, formed after the collapse and partition of the Roman Empire to the Western and Eastern parts. Concept art for Halcyon's Byzantium shows the city as a large, radially built walled settlement on top of a mesa, with a building similar to the Hagia Sophia of real Constantinople/Istanbul at the center.
- Byzantine as an adjective can also refer to undemocratic practices, complexity of government, and autocracy—fitting for the generally repressive hierarchy formed by The Board in the Halcyon Colony.
- Several street names in Byzantium are named after the planets of the Halcyon System. One street—Vanderbilt Street, is most likely named after 19th century businessman Cornelius Vanderbilt, who also lends his name to one of the Earth Directorate's vessels.
Related achievements-trophies[edit | edit source]
|Paradise Found||Landed in Byzantium.||30||Bronze|
|Well Dressed||Wore 'A Nice Hat' and 'Chimaera' at the same time.||15||Bronze|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ADA, on Byzantium, the Unreliable