Parvati Holcomb is a potential companion for the Stranger. Parvati is an empathetic yet naive mechanic working in Edgewater, maintaining the Saltuna Cannery's machinery. She likes to personify the machines she interacts with often giving them names. But her empathy can be overshadowed by her lack of confidence. She rarely speaks up when being reprimanded and doesn't like to make decisions by herself. She can be quite shy, frequently wanting to speak on her behalf. However, can be talkative with the others once she gets to know them.
Background[edit | edit source]
Parvati is the daughter of Robert Holcomb and a woman named Indumati. Robert raised her alone following the decision of Spacer's Choice to separate mother and daughter; a decision Parvarti considers "practical", as her mother was far too busy with the bureaucracy to raise her. Robert was the one who introduced Parvati into mechanics and taught her many of the ins and outs of the profession. Following her father's death (due to overworking,) she found work the mechanical bay, under Reed Tobson's employ; however, she found herself in trouble frequently due to having trouble keeping to work schedules and frequently missing repair deadlines.
She shows some level of distaste for the OSI Church (and by extension the faith) because of its self-equation to a working machine. She claims that the religion is "too clean", in contrast to all the machines she's worked on as a mechanic, which are always filthy.
Although she has had past romantic relationships, none of them lasted long due to her being asexual: holding a disinterest in the physical side of relationships which resulted in her partners finding her "cold". After leaving Edgewater with the Captain and traveling to the Groundbreaker, Parvati meets and develops feelings for a fellow female engineer and leader of the outpost Junlei.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Upon seeing the Unreliable for the first time Parvati will request to permanently join the Unreliable's crew.
If the player passes Silas at the Edgewater graveyard while Parvati is in their party, Silas will ask her if she is coming for a visit. She will reply no just helping this fella/lady. Talking to Silas after this will trigger unique dialogue with him and Parvati.
If the Captain kills Reed Tobson, Parvati will confront them about this. A determination/lie check of 10 must be passed to convince her to stay otherwise she will leave the party forever.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
- Come Now the Power - Parvati is assigned by Reed to assist the Captain in navigating the Geothermal plant in order to divert power back to Edgewater. Before diverting the power, she will suggest fulfilling Reed's request instead of sending it to the Botanical Lab.
- Drinking Sapphire Wine - When first arriving at The Groundbreaker, Parvati will ask to be acquainted with station's engineer Junlei. In choosing to pursue this quest, she will share her personal troubles in life - or what's beginning to look like it.
- Don't Bite The Sun - After completing Drinking Sapphire Wine Parvati will ask for the help in creating the perfect date for Junlei.
Parvati leaving after killing Junlei:
- If you kill Junlei after finishing the quest Drinking Sapphire Wine. Parvati is going to confront you about this during next time you talk to her, and is going to want to permanently leave your crew there are two dialogue trees one inside the Groundbreaker and one when outside with Parvati as a companion.
- On the Groundbreaker Parvati will leave even after passing Persuade and Intimidation checks.
- Outside you can still convince Parvati to stay and the Persuade and Intimidation checks will be lower (70 on Groundbreaker vs 55 Stellar Bay) but you will also have to pass a second combined 'Persuade + Determination' or 'Intimidate + Determination' check that only comes up with Parvati as a companion. She will still be upset and won't talk to you anymore but she won't leave either.
- If Junlei is killed before completing the Drinking Sapphire Wine quest though, Parvati will stay in your crew, and will just be mildly upset about the killing.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Whether you accept or decline Parvati's request to join your crew a room with her belongings will be generated inside the ship.
- Declining Parvati's request to join your crew will result in her despawning and no longer being able to be interacted with without the use of console commands.
- It is possible that the end credits will state that Parvati did not survive travelling with you even if she is alive and well at the end of the game. This can happen even on a game that is not played on the Supernova difficulty setting where companion characters do not permanently die during gameplay.